Locksmith great packington

Burntwood Family History Group

Lichfield Pigot's Co's National Commercial Directory for 1828-9

AN ancient city and county itself, bounded on every side by that part of the county of Stafford which lies within the hundred of Offlow north, as 120 miles from London, 67 from Manchester, 30 from Newcastle, 16 from Stafford and Wolverhampton, 9 from Walsall and seven from Rugeley, and Tamworth, situated in a fine and fertile valley, and nearly in the centre of England. The origin of this city has occasioned much learned controversy: Bede one of our most ancient writers, calls it ‘Lich-field, or the field of carcases’ or ‘field of the dead, ’ from a tradition that 1000 British Christians suffered martyrdom here in the time of the emperor Diocletian. Dr. STUKELEY derives the etymology of the name from the LICH, a Saxon word, which signifies a morass; and other controversialists say it was called by the Saxons Licet-feld, from its then marshy situation. But whatever may have been the origin of the city, it derived its first importance from the Mercian kings, and was erected into a bishopric by OSWY, in the year 665; OFFA, king of Mercia, in 785 exalting it to an archiepiscopal see. By a charter of Edward VI, in 1547, Lichfield was elevated to the dignity of a city & corporation, which also restored to the burgesses the privilege of sending numbers to parliament, of which they had been deprived from the year 1354. When James II in his arbitrary deprivation of the rights of Englishmen, required the surrender of the ancient charters, he granted them a new one, with some reservation; but in 1688 he published a proclamation, restoring to the corporation their ancient privileges. It having been made county, by a charter granted by Queen Mary, and by that of Charles II, it was decided to be governed by two bailiffs and twenty-one brethren; they are employed to elect a recorder and high steward, who are magistrates during life, and have power, together with bailiffs and justices, to hold courts of goal delivery, and award judgement of death or other punishment, and that no other judges or justices shall have power in the city. The corporation are empowered to elect one of the citizens to serve the office of sheriff of the city and county. Courts of record are held weekly, the quarter sessions are held at the usual times, and the court of goal delivery as occasion may require. The bailiffs for the time being are lords of the manor, which is co-extensive with the county. The city returns two members of parliament; the right of election, as determined by the House of Commons in 1718, is in the bailiff, magistrates, freeholders of 40s. Per annum, all that held burgage tenures, and freemen of the city paying scot and lot; the number of electors is about 900, and the sheriff is the returning officer. The representatives returned at the election in 1826 were General Sir George ANSON and George Granville Venables VERINO, sq. On the northern side of the city, beyond a beautiful sheet of water,

stands the cathedral, presenting to the admiring spectator is sculptured western front, in all the majesty of the pointed order. It is adorned with rich painted windows, both ancient and modern, and contains numerous monuments of excellent workmanship. Dr. WILKES dates the origin of the cathedral as far back as the year 657; it is governed by the dean and six cannons, who constitute the chapter, and hold their court every alternative Friday, to hear and determine causes. The Close is a peculiar jurisdiction, distinct from and independent of the City of Lichfield and the county of Stafford, the dean and cannons being sole justices within its precincts. Before the civil war, between Charles I, and the parliament, there were many alter tombs of bishops and other eminent characters, interred in the cathedral, and above one hundred coats of arms and other heraldic ornaments, in painted glass in the windows, all of which were defaced or destroyed by the licentious soldiery belonging to the republican army. There are three parish churches, viz. St. Mary’s, a vicarage, in the gift of the dean and chapter, of which the Rev. Baptist John PROBY is the vicar; St. Chad’s, a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the vicar of St. Mary’s, and incumbency of the Rev. Henry WHITE; and St. Michael’s also, a perpetual curacy, in the same presentation as St. Chad’s and the Rev. Edward SIMEON Remington is the incumbent. The other places of worship are, a meeting house each for the independent and Wesleyan Methodists, and a Roman catholic chapel. The scholastic and charitable institutions are, a free grammar school, founded by Queen Elizabeth; an English school, founded in 1667, for sixty boys; and several national schools. Here are many alms-houses, endowed by benevolent persons; an ancient hospital for thirteen poor men; and another for fifteen poor women, without pensioners. In Bore-street is a Guildhall, a neat edifice of stone, with a pediment adorned with the city arms. The front of the hall is spacious, behind which are apartments in which the members of the corporation transact public business; and underneath is a gaol, in which debtors and felons apprehended within the limits of the county of Lichfield are confined. The market-house is a light and convenient building of stone, erected on the spot formally occupied by the market cross. The city is not remarkable for its variety of manufacturers, but it has an excellent local trade, and the grounds around produce a great abundance of vegetables, Ec. Which supply the populous neighbouring towns. The breed of cattle is of a very superior kind, and the agriculture of this neighbourhood has arrived to high perfection. Here is a large manufactory for carpets, under the firm of Hitchcock & Sultzer; and the town receives advantage by the Wyrley and Essington canal, that passes near the city, opening an extensive communication by the Grand trunk with distant inland towns and sea

Related posts: